Parish History

  1912

Former Druids Hall on North East Road used for Sunday Mass.

  1919

Land for original Walkerville Church Hall purchased.

  1929

St Monica’s School opened with the Sisters of St Joseph.

  1941

Parish of Walkerville established by Archbishop Beovich after separating from Lower North Adelaide Parish.
Fr Thomas O’Rourke appointed Parish Priest.

  1942

Purchase of Church site – two allotments purchased where St Monica’s Church now stands.

  1943

Brick annex added to the Greenacres Church Hall to relieve overcrowding.

  1947

Land purchased at Enfield for future school.

  1949

Purchase of Greenacres site.

  1950

Walkerville Parish erects Church/Halls at Northfield and Hillcrest.

  1951

Purchase of Presbytery at Salisbury Terrace.
Purchase of Clearview site.
Original Our Lady of the Sacred Heart School established at Enfield.

  1952

Foundation stone laid for St Monica’s Church.
Fr Robin Sutherland appointed Assistant Priest at Walkerville.

  1953

Palm Sunday opening of St Monica’s Church.
Opening of Clearview Church Hall.
Northfield site purchased.
Hillcrest site procured.
St Monica’s Parish opened buildings at Enfield and Clearview.

  1954

Fr Joseph Grealy appointed Assistant Priest at Parish at Enfield/ Clearview .

  1955

Opening of Northfield Church Hall/Hillcrest Church Hall as part of
St Monica’s Parish.

  1956

Purchase of new lot south of St Monica’s Church.
Opening of new school building at St Monica’s.

  1957

Hillcrest and Northfield Parishes formed
(This area is no longer part of the Parish).

  1958

Greenacres Church/Hall built at corner Hampstead and Muller Roads Greenacres united to Enfield becoming a separate Parish from Walkerville.

  1958/59

Work begins on St Paul’s College, Valley View.

  1959

Fr Andrew Killian appointed Parish Priest at Greenacres.
St Monica’s Church extended and Hall enlarged.

  1962

Land for St Matthew's Church purchased (Wilpena Street, Klemzig).
Land for initial St Martin’s School purchased.

  1963

Fr John O’Callaghan appointed Parish Priest at Walkerville.

  1964

St Martin’s Catholic Primary School, Greenacres opened.

  1966

Catholic Women’s League (CWL) inaugurated in Walkerville.

  1967

St Matthew’s Church opened.

  1968

Fr Sebastian Norock appointed as Parish Priest at Greenacres.

  1969

Fr Peter McIntyre appointed as Parish Priest at Greenacres.

  1979

First lay Principal of St Monica’s School appointed (Brian Sayner) as Sisters of St Joseph withdraw.

  1982

Fr James Honner appointed Parish Priest at Greenacres.

  1983

Fr William Flanagan appointed Parish Priest at Walkerville.

  1988

First lay Principal of St Martin's School appointed (Rob Rowe).

  1992

Fr Peter Millburn appointed Parish Priest at Walkerville.

  1994

Fr Antoni Chabraszewski appointed as Parish Priest at Greenacres.

  1995

St Monica’s Presbytery at Brunswick Street, Walkerville purchased.

  2000

Fr Kerry Dwyer appointed Parish Priest at Walkerville.

  2003

Fr Anthony Pearson appointed Parish Priest at Walkerville.
Amalgamation of Parishes of Greenacres and Walkerville and last Mass at St Matthew's Church.
Father Anthony Pearson appointed Parish Priest at Greenacres Walkerville.

  2006

St Matthew’s Church sold (demolished in 2007 for private housing).
Former Greenacres Presbytery on Muller Road demolished for car parking for Church.

  2007

Sale of St Monica’s Presbytery and Parish Office at Brunswick Street, Walkerville.
Greenacres Walkerville Parish Presbytery at Eric Neale Court, Enfield purchased.
Parish Office moved premises to 106A Hampstead Road, Broadview.
Fr Leon Czechowicz appointed Administrator at Greenacres Walkerville.
Fr Ike Bonje appointed Administrator at Greenacres Walkerville.

  2010

Fr Vinh-Quang Tran appointed Administrator at GreenacresWalkerville.

  2011

Parish Office moved to 66-80 Princes Road, Greenacres (St Martin's Catholic Primary School).

  2013

Fr Kym Spurling appointed Parish Priest at Greenacres Walkerville.